Monday, February 11, 2013

DO

I wanted to remind teachers to please take the time to greet each and every child as they walk in your classroom.  If you are sitting down--stand up and walk over to the him/her.  I do not bother to sit down in the morning as the children are slowly coming in.  If you're talking to another teacher--STOP--and acknowledge each child.  I make it a point to touch the child in some way-- I pat them on the back, touch their hair or give them a "side" hug and call them by name.
I remember seeing Toni Morrison in an interview a while back and she talked about how she realized that her face should light up every time her son walked into a room.  I realized that MY face should light up each time one of my preschoolers walks in my classroom.  And it doesn't matter if it's the best behaved one in my class or the child that gives me the most problems--I greet ALL of them like I'm thrilled to have them there that day.
And remember--parents notice how you greet and react to their children.  They can see that you genuinely care about them.  This is so important--not only does it make each child feel special and glad to be at school--but it makes it easier to talk with the parents if an issue were to come up with their little one.
Teachers, think about how you would want your own child greeted if you were dropping them off at daycare.  More important--how would YOU want to be welcomed if you were just a little girl/boy who really didn't have a choice about being at daycare.  Even as adults we like for people to be glad to see us--our spouse, our friends--even the waiter at the restaurant or the salesman at the store.  So please make an extra effort to welcome each child as soon as they walk into your classroom.  You'll be surprised at what a difference you'll see in the children and also in how their parents react to you.      

No comments:

Post a Comment